Thursday, November 24, 2011

fermented pleasures


Chutney recipe in Nourishing Traditions (Sally Fallon).

I love all things fermented, basically. It doesn't get more interesting, graceful, and healthy. Or more basic, really. I mean, think about it: bread and wine? Fermented. Kimchi? Cheese? Beer? Yes.

So now that we've established that - I am presently fermenting two new things in the kitchen - ketchup and raisin chutney.

I've made stovetop ketchup before, but never fermented ketchup. It involved first making fermented fish sauce. Which was disgusting, fascinating, and a lot of fun. It is not seasoned with as many spices and so on as other kinds I've made, either - just salt, garlic and cayenne pepper. But it is tomatoey, and it looks like ketchup, so hopefully it'll be awesome.


Fermenting fish; fermenting ketchup.

I am more excited about the chutney. We are having sort of a send-off goodbye lunch for my little God-son's family of 5, who are moving to Argentina for at least two years, if not forever (!), and we wanted to make it really special. I spent an obscene amount getting organic pork roasts, and we're planning roasted brussel sprouts and potatoes and apple galette and chocolate pudding. But the meat itself seemed sort of boring, you know? Daniel, the father, is an amazing cook, and always has so many delightful condiments and side dishes and things (like whole artichokes with lemon sauce, home-marinated eggplant, homemade sausages, etc. etc.) so I thought they deserved something a little zesty, yes indeed. So it's raisins, an onion, crushed chilli peppers, garlic, ginger, salt, cardamom, peppercorns, and cumin, along with the water and whey to ferment it, all blended up in the Magic Bullet. It smells awesome, I'm not going to lie. Can't wait to taste it!!


Raisins; chutney.

I'll be sure to let you know how they turn out. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment