Tuesday, February 14, 2012

chocolate peanut butter cups






FILLING
1 1/3 c roasted salted peanuts
2 tsp honey
1 1/2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt

COATING
2 c chocolate chips

--> prepare 12 cupcake liners in a muffin pan
--> grind and mix filling ingredients and form into 12 balls, just slightly flattened
--> zap 1/2 c chocolate in the microwave for 1 minute, stir, add 30 seconds, repeat until melted. pour and spread about 2 tsp at the bottom of each liner.
--> center a peanut butter patty in each liner. Heat and melt remaining chocolate, as above. Pour evenly over each patty.
--> chill in fridge until quite firm.

Next time, to be classier, I might mix up the nuts a bit (I think toasted pecans would be amazing) and will definitely use a fair trade, organic bar chocolate.

Adapted from...


4 comments:

  1. I made these before and they are so yum. Jeff devoures Reeses like no tomorrow so Ive been trying to find a suitable at home replacement! I add a little honey to my peanut mixture, I find it gives it a kick in the nuts. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I just noticed you had already added honey haha mah bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I bought this really horribly textured natural peanut butter. I was so excited to try it, until I tasted it and it was LIKE GLUE--it sealed my mouth and throat shut. Thought I was going to have an untimely peanut butter death right in my kitchen. The consistency is very liquidy, but sticky when it contact with (I think?) water. Do you think I can salvage this stuff and make PB cups with it? Where can i buy these sillicone cups btw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silicone cups from Canadian Tire... re: the peanut butter... is this your first time with natural peanut butter? All natural peanut butter is pretty thick and sticky, especially because it has to be stored in the fridge once opened. The oils also float to the top, so if you don't stir them down before each use, the PB on the bottom of the jar can be wicked thick and a bit dry. If you aren't used to natural PB yet, I'd recommend starting your NPB relationship by having it on hot, crispy toast, where it gets melty and delicious.
      That being said, I'm sure it would be fine in this recipe, yes!

      Delete