Thursday, August 30, 2012

Nut-Free Pesto

Just got my tonsils removed, and I cant eat yet. So what do I do? Make tons of food! Hey at least I get the pleasure of watching people enjoy the food, and pretend Im eating it too (my diet is composed of yogurt, applesauce, and ice cubes) I just canned what has to be my best salsa to date (which I plan to post later on), and tonight I made nut free basil coriander pesto, and made a quick tomato pasta with it. IT SMELLED SO GOOD.

I like  to torture myself. It took maybe 10 minutes for the pesto, and ten minutes for the whole dish to come to finition, so there is no reason for anyone not to be able to make these. And the best? Most of the ingredients came from a farm 10 minutes away from me. DOUBLE AWESOME!

Basil Coriander Pesto
 
A bunch of fresh basil
A bunch of fresh coriander
1/3 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
a pinch of sea salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lemon juiced (about 2 tbsp, throw in the zest if you want more zing)
1/4 cup olive oil

If you dont have a food processor that has a pour hole, give everything but the oil a whirl until you have the desired consistancy, then add the oil. Whirl away until you have something that looks like this:

I like mine still a little leafy (not that I could eat it!!), but mix more for a uniformly creamy texture


So there's your super quick pesto. Now to make it into a meal. Ready for the most complicated dish you'll ever make? First, get some pasta boiling, then cut up a few mushrooms and a couple fresh Roma tomatoes and saute them. Then, when the pasta is al dente, stir in a little or alot of the pesto, and top with the tomatoes and mushrooms. Then delicious end.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment