Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Baked Vegan French Toast

I dont own a non-stick frying pan. Mostly because I think heating a plastic-chemicaly teflon surface and then making food on it just sounds like a sure fire way to poison yourself slowly. Its cast-iron for me, with metal utensils, and a generous amount of oil. However when I went to make vegan french toast the other night it was terrible, the pieces burnt and stuck, and fell apart in a soggy gross way, all on top of taking forever!
Solution: baking!

Worked out great! I preheated the oven to 400 F and baked each side for 10 minutes. Gave it a little broil at the end, mostly because I like things burnt.

I've been using a loose version of Dreena Burtin's recipe in Vive le Vegan!

In the bullet (hand blender or other mixer would work too):

1tbsp flax

blend til flour-y, then add:

1/2 cup nondairy milk
3 tbsp silken (soft) tofu
cinnamon
nutmeg
salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp oil (canola, coconut...)

blend again, then pour into a flat dish and soak pieces of bread on both sides until all liquid is absorbed. (makes about 6 slices). Place in the oven on an oiled cookie sheet.


Fry up some apple slices too. Its great.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE that it's egg-free! Does it actually taste like french toast, though?? Will try it for Mr. Allergies soon! Thanks Julia!

    ReplyDelete