Friday, December 30, 2011

foodie manifesto

I have been thinking about what it means to be a foodie lately. More than one of our introductory posts on here have taken a definite stance - either we are and embrace it or are not - and shun it? feel sheepish about it? I am unsure of the tone. So it got me thinking - is being a "foodie" seen as a snobby thing? I certainly hope not.

To me - my life kind of revolves around food. From parties or breastfeeding, tea breaks to hospitality tips, the Eucharist to community supported agriculture and "beyond organic" theory, from the whole foods movement to gardening, from food photography to penitential fasting, from butter-love to fresh veggies to wandering through the market in summer... to picnics, to co-ops... yeah, my life essentially revolves around food, and I think that's fine. I think food and eating are major natural sacraments. I think health and wellness come first from eating right and treating the earth, the animals, and our farmers with respect. I love to eat. I love to learn to appreciate what I am eating better. I love food. To me, that's what being a foodie means.

What about you? Why do you say you are or are not a foodie?

1 comment: