Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Oatmeal

I was going to post this yesterday and I woke up to Sam's breakfast post. I think the cold weather's inspiring us to keep our bellies warm and full first thing. This is what I eat every morning.


I use 5 minute oats. Whole oats would be just as delicious, or perhaps even more so, but I dont have that kind of patience.

On the stove-top:
1 1/2 c water
1/2c oats (I make it a bit overflowing)
a handful raisins
3 or 4 whole dates
a handful coconut shavings
6 shakes of salt (or to taste)

optional: a little butter, and a little cinnamon

Bring to boil, and then turn down heat and let thicken.

I used to add maple syrup for sweetness before I started putting the dates in, but they provide just the right amount, and fibre too.
This is my favourite brearkfast food because everyone in my family can eat it, even my one tooth baby. So I'm not juggling recipes. And its delicious.

2 comments:

  1. Mm delicious. I think I need to get back into oatmeal. Maybe it's psycho-somatic, but after I heard that Sally Fallon considers unsoaked oatmeal "indigestible" I have been paying more attention and do notice my belly hurts if I don't soak. I need to plan for this more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG...Julia you are totallly channeling my oatmeal craze right now. mmmm!

    ReplyDelete